Additional Learning Needs
Definition of ALN:
A child has additional learning needs if he / she has a learning difficulty that calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her. Special educational provision means: Educational provision which is additional to, or otherwise different from, the educational provision made generally for children of their age in schools maintained by the LEA, other than special schools, in the area.
A child has a learning difficulty if he or she:
- Has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of the same age;
- Has a disability which either prevents or hinders the child from making use of educational facilities of a kind provided for children of the same age in schools within the area of the local education authority;
- Are under compulsory school age and fall within the definition at (a) or (b) above or would do so if special educational provision was not made for them.
Special Educational Needs Code of Practice for Wales – National Assembly for Wales 2002 states:-
- A child with special educational needs should have their needs met.
- The special educational needs of children will normally be met in mainstream schools or settings
- The views of the child should be sought and taken into account
- parents have a vital role to play in supporting their child’s education
- Children with special educational needs should be afforded full access to a broad, balanced and relevant education.
At Dolau Primary School we shall:-
- Work with the Local Education Authority to ensure a child’s special educational needs are identified quickly
- Ensure the wishes of the child are taken into account when providing SEN provision
- Review the child’s progress regularly and assess the impact of any intervention that they are having.
- Work closely with parents and all agencies involved with the child
- Ensure that all children reach their full potential
However in September 2021 the Additional Learning Needs and Educational Tribunal (Wales) Act will be coming into force and as a school we are working on ensuring that this will be a smooth transition.
Websites below have some useful information regarding the changes that will be taking place: